Labskaus is a sailor’s dish, Labskaus has experienced in recent years, a renaissance, similar to other former “poor people’s food” for example Matjes or salmon. Today you can find Labskaus almost on the menus of many restaurants with Hamburg or Northern Germany 🍽
What’s in it?
- 1 tin of corned beef (about 340 g)
- 2 onions
- 500g potatoes (floury cooking)
- Salt pepper
- oil or butter
- Matje fillets
– Let the peeled potatoes cook for about 20 minutes, in salted water.
– Dice the onion and braise with the corned beef in a pan with a little oil.
– Add some of the cooking water to the onions and bring to a boil.
– After 20 minutes, remove the peeled potatoes from the water and strain corned beef into a fine sieve. Reduce some water.
– Mash the potatoes, meat and stir-fried onion in a bowl. Use the cooking water to set the consistency of the mash (optional, add water with a small amount of beetroot). Season with pepper and salt. Serve with fried eggs, pickels, beetroot and Matjes.
I made this dish together with my sisters last year when we were curious what is the typical hamburger 👩🏻🍳 Have fun! Write some comment if you think about try the recipes! Thank you!